Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Lath House




Most of my adult life, I have coveted greenhouses. I think I may have inherited a genetic love of sticking my hands in dirt from my maternal grandmother. I understand that her gardens were spectacular, and according to my mother, she would much rather be out tending her beds than cleaning or cooking. I wonder what she wore?? I tend to garden in old shorts and tees and be covered in dirt. I cannot imagine her wearing anything other than long dark dresses and practical shoes, if old black and white family photos are accurate. I never knew her and wish I could now. She could tell me about her plants. She would decorate the alter at church with her flowers, and according to my Aunt Betty, her blue delphinium and pale pink Dr. Van Fleet rose combos were amazing.

Since I joined the Orchid and Bromeliad Club of Key Largo, I have started coveting shade houses. Instead of bringing light in to plants, down here you have to keep light out. I only have so many spots on trees and on benches under trees and hanging on hooks from trees to put my orchids. I approached Harry with the idea of a lath house, which is what was used in the "olden days" before the high tech shade fabrics were invented. I like the look much better. Harry was enthusiastic and after deliberating and studying the best approach, we made a design and got to work. The first four posts took nine hours to dig in. We had to go down 18" and since we live on coral rock, that ain't so easy. I need to be sure that if a hurricane blows in, my structure doesn't blow out. Harry did the rest of the construction. I think he did a spectacular job and I am so excited. I have about half of my collection in there now and so much room to add more. Orchids are like crack to enthusiasts. We want more!

3 comments:

  1. WOW!! It is so beautiful. Can Harry come back to Cleveland and make me one too.

    Love,

    Kathy Alcorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful job!

    Does Harry still have a materials list hanging around? I live in Winter Park, FL and would love to build one to finally give my orchids a fitting home.

    Kind regards,

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you have done! I live in Coral Gables and am grappling with all this hot sun on my orchids and succulants! It's just way too hottTTT!. I love the shade house...

    ReplyDelete