Sunday, January 10, 2010

Swedish Pancakes


Growing up, Sundays meant going to church, followed by dinner (usually roast beef or roast chicken or some other rather formal food item with all the accompaniments and often homemade dessert) and supper was the last meal of the day. Supper was often leftovers but occasionally, it was made by my father in the heavy black cast iron skillet. Both of my father's parents came to the U.S. from Sweden, and my father made Swedish pancakes. Traditionally, in Sweden, they would be served with lingonberries, but we ate ours with either powdered sugar or syrup. There is still some controversy over whether they should be rolled or folded in quarters but I have gone over to my sister's method of folding.

My childhood friends loved to stay for dinner on pancake nights. I cannot imagine how many of these I have created for my own family. And now, my son makes them for his children.

The reason I was thinking about them today was because Harry made them this morning and I realized that I probably had not had more than one pancake per seating in 30 years. Standing at the stove cranking them out for Harry, Matt, Tom, Sam and all of their sleepover friends growing up, by the time they had eaten their fill, there was usually no more batter left!

The recipe is simple and takes a few seconds to swirl in the blender. Try them and I expect hear some raves. The recipe was immortalized in a Jr. League cookbook in Cleveland years ago - tested and made the cut. It is no fail.

3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. milk
4 eggs
1 t. salt
1 T. sugar

Melt about a teaspoon of butter in a non-stick omelet size pan and let melt and start to brown. Pour in enough batter to swirl and coat the bottom of pan. When lightly browned, flip and brown and fold and serve.

Just wait until next Christmas when I share the Urich family Christmas Eve Bacardi Cocktail recipe. I will probably be loopy when I write the blog...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Carolyn, I'm going to try the recipe. I'm sure my family will love it. Thanks for sharing.

    Kathy Alcorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Beth BreckenridgeJanuary 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM

    I want some NOW! Oh, and you are correct about the folding :-)

    ReplyDelete