Thursday, March 25, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me

I suggest that after the age of 21, we just stop fussing over birthdays, OK? Not that I don't really love the attention and cards and calls from friends and families. I do!! I mean to re-establish the cause for those displays to something that is NOT a reminder that time is marching on. Those of us of a certain age are totally able to understand my thinking. Not only do I not recognize myself in reflections in glass any more due to the physical reminders of aging, I also am prone to thinking about how much time is "left." I am not being morbid, just practical. If I buy a tree that is slow growing, will I get to see it at the height of its glory. And, will I get to see my grand kids weddings, babies, etc. Who knows? I don't obsess over these issues but I am sure that most of our lives, we think occasionally about how much time we have left.

One thing that I refuse to be a party to, and I certainly hope those nearest and dearest will give me a big boot in the bootie if I do it, is the constant comments about age. I hate when people talk about getting old. Forget that BS. If you have aches and pains, take an Advil. Really. This is all about attitude. Of course there are health related realities. I worked for nine hours outside last Sunday and yes, I was sore on Monday. But I think the important part of this paragraph is that I WORKED OUTSIDE FOR NINE HOURS ON SUNDAY. And until something major and debilitating gets me, I plan to continue. Let my son tell me to pull up anchor in 5 foot waves while balancing on the bow of the boat. I will try!

I find it incredibly annoying when I present some new gadget, gizmo, book, TV show or fad to a peer and they act critical. Like I am putting cyanide on a spoon and asking them to taste. I do not want to be one of those people who act old and think old and I am putting this out to all of my compadres, don't do it either. Let us face this next chapter of life with interest and enthusiasm. I will never forget one of Harry's dad's friends. She was in her 80's at the time and at a fancy dinner party and I saw a little electronic thing on the table next to her plate. It was allowing her to keep up with the baseball scores of her beloved Indians. I just loved the irreverence to the surrounding and her technology interest in a gadget I had not yet seen. So take my hand and lets have some fun. Red Rover anyone? Mother May I? How about a good game of tag? Jack and Ruby, here I come, ready or not.

2 comments: