Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Ugly Side of Humanity

Ugh, it is one of those days when I get discouraged that people have a dark side, and some have a very easy time letting it rotate into the sunlight. After dealing with a guest who ignored our no-smoking policy, despite signing a specific agreement on the reservation form agreeing to being charged for said behavior, he left a cup full of cigarette butts in a very smoked up room. In addition, we have multiple signs on the property, and ashtrays outside everywhere with seating next to them. And, did you know that despite hotels having a no-smoking charge - they cannot enforce it? The credit card companies will not support the merchant. The guest has to "sign" that they accept the smoking penalty. So, I decided to charge the man half of the normal penalty and wrote to him that if he opts to dispute the charges, I will take him to small claims court, since he is a Keys resident, and ask for court costs in addition to the full penalty. And that I have photos of his deed. We will see what he does.

Then, after dealing with that slime bag, (who by the way was an "arrogant jerk" when he checked in according to staff), I received a phone bill for almost $300 of phone call charges to Cuba made in a two day rental in a property that we own. Dummy me. I thought that having local calls only established with AT&T meant, just that - local calls only. No, I just learned that you can dial 1010123 and get around that little system and charge calls to anywhere you would like. And, when calling the former renters to discuss this bill with them, I learned that their phone is disconnected. Not only did I go out of my way to make an exception for this family who needed a short term rental which is not my normal policy, during their stay we had to call the police for excessive noise, and their group of 6 as stated on the contract was really about 14 people, and last but not least, after they turned in the keys, they snuck back in the house and used the house, and pool until late in the day after we thought they had departed. How do people do these things and not feel guilt? Does what goes 'round really come 'round?? And, by the way, I have shared some little secrets of the low life world but trust that my blog readers are my friends and family and would never use this new knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment