Friday, February 25, 2011

Six Years Old Already


This year, I made it to Jack's birthday celebration. I haven't missed any of Jack or Ruby's birthdays, except last year when I ended up driving to the hospital from the airport for my kidney stone's birth of its own. Since my girlfriend Fern was with me, as she was last year, to fly back to Cleveland after a visit, the deja vu was a little eerie. This time the only glitz was a traffic delay causing me to miss my original flight and have to scramble to find another, which ended in me going to Cleveland instead of Detroit - so when Fern and I managed to fly home on the same flight, in the same row of seats, that was a good twist of fate.

I enjoyed spending time with Matt, Megan and family as always. This visit included a wild dinner with Megan's folks and sister and her family at a Hibachi restaurant. Lots of noise and commotion, including gongs, fire, etc. I like Megan's family very much and always enjoy spending time with them, and also appreciate that they include me in their family. We also went bowling and frankly, Jack and Ruby scored better than Matt, Megan or I. We need bumpers. And the final extravaganza was the birthday party at Chuckie Cheese. Not the choice of most adults, but boy, do they know how to make a kid feel special. I have included a video of the excitement.



I really enjoy seeing the contrasts between Ruby and Jack. Ruby is talkative, and Jack is quiet. Getting information out of Jack about school, friends, and any activity that occurs away from home is like trying to get a child to allow you to pull a loose tooth. It isn't going to happen until they are ready. Ruby, on the other hand, would chat your ear off. I also noticed, that now Ruby instigates much of the poking and bugging that occurs between the siblings. Jack is rough and tumble and yet also incredibly tender. He will surprise you with very loving words. He wears a smile easily and seems to be quite content in his own skin. Ruby is showing signs of two year old obstinacy and can put a real scowl on when needed. My friend Peggy describes her as quirky and she can be very amusing. All dressed in her favorite pink coat and pink boots and then she pulls on a Cleveland Browns hat down to her eyebrows like a rap singer when ready to go out. I had to laugh at watching their violin practice. Ruby, at two, is much more compliant and a bit of a ham. Jack looks bored. But put him on his drums, and that boy can rock!

As for Megan and Matt. They are enjoyable to be around always. I love the music that fills their home. I captured this little glimpse of Megan playing a piece for her own enjoyment. Just amazing kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment