Saturday, July 16, 2011

Whale I'll Be Darned!



Harry and I had just about the most perfect fishing day ever, today. Flat calm going out, and action all over the place. I believe the full moon may have something to do with the fact that fish were hungry and active. Birds were diving, bait fish were jumping and we caught Wahoo, Blackfin Tuna and Mahi Mahi during the course of the day. Dinner is looking promising!

But, the very most exciting thing happened when I thought I sighted a fish jumping in the water way off in the distance. After this white plume of water occurred four times in a row, Harry proclaimed it was a whale. I couldn't believe it. I have never heard of sightings here except the occasional sick ones that come in close to shore and usually die. In fact, two are being rehabilitated in Key Largo right now. We approached it and got right next to it, but when it submerged and went under the boat, I freaked out a bit. I kept having Moby Dick visions in my head and our boat being upended. After all, this fellow was about the size of our boat. He dove under us and I ran for the camera. We saw him again, and then three others in a pod. It was just amazing.
I put this illustration to give a sense of the size. It looked a lot bigger than that when you are 22 miles out at sea and in 1400' deep water! The water was so blue and so clear. After leaving the whale for more adventures, I looked down next to the boat and saw a huge marlin, lit up blue and beautiful. Just hanging out with us. I think I chattered non-stop for an hour after all of this excitement. What a place. What a day.

1 comment: