Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chutzpah

Chutzpah is the quality of audacity, for good or for bad, but it is generally used negatively. The word derives from the Hebrew word ḥuṣpâ (חֻצְפָּה), meaning "insolence", "audacity", and "impertinence."

An example - today I am at work at the Sea Dell. I received a phone call from a gentleman informing me that he was from the Middle Keys Dive School and that they would be using the pool in a few minutes for their lessons. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about. Was he a guest at the motel? No, he informed me, but that he had permission to use the pool and often came here to give instructions. He seemed annoyed at me for not understanding! I informed him that either myself, or my husband, would be the person who would have given him permission, and I didn't. But I would check with my husband. Which I did. And no, Harry had never spoken to the gentleman. (Although, I would not call his type of man a gentleman.) Harry went to the pool and the group was already making themselves quite comfortable. Harry gave him the option of renting a room and giving the lesson, or hitting the road.

I spoke with our manager who said that he had been here before giving lessons and had told her that he had permission. She felt badly that she had not questioned it. Why would she; he presented himself so authoritatively. There must be some sort of Karma going on here with our run of dirtbags lately. I will have to smack myself upside the head and get my Pollyanna attitude on. I need to get back on the sunny side!

No comments:

Post a Comment