Monday, October 1, 2012

Paper Overload

I have deforested about an acre recently in the amount of paper products I have used responding to the million projects we are involved in.  Voluntarily?  No, not really.  I just finished a 75+ page response to the lawyer who has sued us regarding ADA (Americans for Disabilities Act).  Harry has made our motel more than 100% compliant by doing work not required until 2013, and has done a beautiful job after weeks of non-stop labor.  We want to be compliant but who knew we were not?  An older property has so many issues to fix and the rules and codes (which are Federal and State) are so complex, and difficult to understand, that it was like solving the Rubik's cube blind and one handed.  But, it is done.  And, we fully expect the court to make this lawyer pay for our legal fees, because he is frankly, a douche bag.  Sorry, just couldn't resist saying that.  That expression is so inanely stupid that it is fun to say and for some reason, just fits! 

And, just when I finished, I got a fax with the forms from the electric company to fill out because their power surge last week fried our entire guestroom telephone service.  So this means, estimates, hire someone (Sam!), and file a claim which looks to be pages long.  Perhaps they make the forms so daunting so people will just say "screw it" and toss them in the trash?

Everyone knows how complex just living and dealing with mail, email, forms, documents, bills, warranties, taxes, etc. can be.  Add a business to that and it seems like we will never be ahead.  Harry always has his irons in so many fires and what I didn't realize was that before he had an office with endless file cabinets and a secretary to bark orders to who would file, ignore or burn all of the crap that he collects and I never saw all of it. Just his shirt pocket alone houses enough data and things that he could probably build shelter if we ever get stranded somewhere.  I mean, I find the most odd items around the house.  I thought I would share a couple with you, and if you can guess what they are, I will bake you a pie next time I see you.

2 comments:

  1. Here's my guess

    Harry's address book on the entertainment cabinet

    Oil and sand/water solution to clean off rust.

    :)

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Close. Stocks he follows,oil from a well he drilled which has phosphorescence (hope I spelled that right) and mercury collected from visits to dentist as a kid!!

    ReplyDelete