Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Learn Something New Every Day


This fruit is called Canistel.  I visited 'Robert is Here', which is a fruit stand/animal park/tourist attraction on the way to and from Everglades National Park and a short ride from the golf course I played.  Robert has the most interesting array of exotic fruits and also the best fruit milkshakes EVER!  My favorite is coconut - a selection I would never normally make but my grand kids discovered it's simple perfection on their last visit.  The fresh grated shavings stick in your teeth and you get to keep enjoying even when the shake is slurped up.

After a particularly painful round of golf,  my friends took me for a shake on the way home to console me.  Not only did I have TWO two stroke penalties (hitting wrong ball, and hitting the flagstick lying on green with my putt), and did not win one hole in the skins game, my golf ball fell out of my pocket into the toilet and I had to fish it out.  My friend Sandra quickly quipped "well, at least you got it in the hole."

The highlighted milkshakes at the stand all had Canistel in them and so I bought one to try.  You eat it when it is absolutely soft to the point of rotten, and when you cut it open, it has the faint aroma of pumpkin.  Not particularly appetizing.  But the fruit has the consistency and taste of egg custard and apparently is phenomenal in shakes, custards and sorbets.  Not exactly something I would eat by itself - a few tastes were enough - but fun to discover a new fruit.  Apparently the strawberry/canistel shake is "to die for". 


No comments:

Post a Comment