Saturday, June 20, 2009

Germans (cont.)

In keeping with my thought processes regarding Germany and the Holocaust, I rented a movie that was recommended some time ago to me by Sam's friend, Susan. Harry and I watched "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" last night. Although I do not want to give details of the movie in case anyone wants to rent it (highly suggested), I do want to say that it was a very finely made movie with more thought provoking material than I have seen in some time. And, it certainly gave me fodder to believe that perhaps many Germans (and I hope Americans) really did not know exactly what was happening to the Jews. Maybe I want to believe that since I tend to be a "look on the bright side to the point of annoying" person. I certainly spend a great deal of time wondering and thinking about how such a thing could happen. Yet, America moved tens of thousands of Japanese Americans to camps in our own country and if we believed whatever propaganda was presented, anything could have happened right here on our soil without our knowledge. I am struggling with complacency, not just on a global scale, but my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment