Friday, October 9, 2009

Full Moon Madness?

When I really do think I have seen it all in the motel business, my naivete gets kicked up a notch. We keep a trash can size container full of clean rags in our laundry room to be used for cleaning and we are especially proud of our quality of linens. When a towel or bath mat doesn't meet my standards, they are put into the bin for cleaning. The linens must be good, because theft is a constant problem.

Today, our housekeeper Nadia pulled out her supply of rags to use and under a layer on top, found a gift. Not a pleasant one. Someone had apparently sat on the trash can and taken a big, fat old - how do I put it nicely - crap! And, I think I know who did it! The guests in the room next to the laundry room were, to put it kindly, a bit odd. The man was living on a boat and picked up the woman who hangs out at the city marina (according to him) and he said that he thought she was homeless. So, he brought her for a night of TV and air-conditioning (sure) just to be kind. Other than being very talkative, he seemed clean enough and had money to pay for the room. Of course as the day unfolded, he must have come to the office 50 times, and got goofier and goofier and probably higher and higher. He decided to stay another night but his credit card wouldn't work and he didn't have enough cash, yet he called for cabs to go to the store which was a short walk away, and called me at the front desk to order him a pizza (no I do not make food orders, sir). And, when I walked numerous times to the laundry room, his "friend" was sitting outside in nothing but her towel. She was actually a sweet woman, who had no teeth and according to her, no sight in one eye from a motorcycle accident, but she had obviously been a real beauty at one time who had lived a bit of a "hard" life. She asked me if she was "dressed" OK to sit outside and have a cigarette. I just said, if we get any complaints, I will let you know. She looked better in one of my nice towels than lots of the people I see in bathing suits at our pool!

Anyway, the next day when they were scheduled to check-out, someone found their key on the nearby Wendy's driveway and their room screen was pushed out of the bathroom but their personal items were left in the room. It was a mystery. We bagged the personal effects, cleaned and locked the room and they have not yet come to pick up their possessions. As for the surprise in the laundry bin, my suspicion is that they came back to use the room it was locked. The laundry room is open during the day although personnel are in and out.

Whether the present was a hostile gift or just the result of nature calling, I guess I will never know. What I do know, is that there is no limit to the kookiness of the human being and that there is always something new to tell about in my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment