Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Banana Bay Break-in



After writing my blog about fathers, I tossed and turned trying to get to sleep. How can one adequately describe someone in a few paragraphs. I kept thinking of things I should have added. My memories were flowing and my brain was on hyper drive. I was a little low, missing my folks. But, when I arrived to work at the Sea Dell this morning, I found this flyer taped to the front desk and my spirits were lifted. Perhaps you have to live here to know how annoying iguanas are to appreciate this. People hate them! They poop on your boat or in your pool and they eat every plant they encounter. They are perhaps the ugliest and scariest looking creature on earth. And, despite their shortcomings, someone loved two of them enough to post a $2000 reward. In fact, the owners have been on a search and rescue mission and even came by today to see if our 20 year old employee, Laz, might have the underground scoop on the crime because he is young and connected to the local youth scene. I called Laz and he said he was adding PI work to his resume and he was out on the case already. For $2000, I may go scouting the neighborhood. But why would someone take them?? In Central and South American countries, as I have mentioned before, they are a tasty dinner treat. Maybe I need to reconsider vegetarianism because I don't like the idea of eating pets. I knew the movie "Babe" had more significance than just a cute story about talking pigs. The iguana owners are really sick at heart about this.

Much of owning a motel is not glamorous. Loads and loads of stranger's laundry, maintenance problems, settling staff issues (like posting bail), paper work and more paperwork including the ridiculous governmental crap (inspections, permits, permits to have inspections...) But, the joy is in the guests. A couple weeks ago we had a guest who was speaking locally about his bike ride from Key West to Peru and he was beginning his new journey from Key West to New England to Seattle, to Southern California and back to Key West. His day job? A stand up comedian.

And how about the woman from Utah who looked like your average natural, no make-up, healthy middle age woman who just didn't believe in shaving. I mean her armpits looked like they housed squirrel tails. I had a hard time not joking "we are not a pet friendly motel." I wondered what was under the long pants she had on. I didn't wonder too long because it sort of freaked me out. I thought feminism took a bit of a turn from that au-naturel scene back in the 70's. In fact, the counter scene is the stupidly enhanced look that some young women are now adopting in the breast department. I have seen women who look like they have grapefruit halves glued to their chests. Perfectly round, top and bottom. South Miami is known for giving plastic surgery as a graduation gift. I know, I know, I should be more accepting. I am. But, I am also prone to being amused by people and there quirks and oddities. I have the perfect perch from behind the Sea Dell desk to observe. And I have my blog to comment. And if you don't like what I say, you don't have to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment