Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The American Caribbean








The Florida Keys are known as the American Caribbean. They are home to the only living coral reef in the Continental US. They may be lacking in some of the culture and amenities that Cleveland had, but more and more I appreciate how special the Keys are. They sort of grow on you. Like barnacles! And if I feel a need for a fix, I can drive up to Miami - one of the largest, and truly hippest cities around. Like I know hip... But where else would you look down in the canal behind your house and see an 80# tarpon swim up to nibble on the fish carcasses from the days catch. Or see a crazy upside down lizard hanging like an earring on your Thai prince statue. Nature surrounds you here, and the people that live on the islands are more passionate about that nature than anywhere I have ever been. Something about this place is funky, and it grows on you. It has character, and characters!

Matt, Megan, Jack and Ruby came down for the long Memorial Day weekend. Megan's brother Ryan and his girlfriend Julie also joined us. We were also joined for one day by my cousin John Mitchell and his buddy Pete Toscani. After fishing with Captain Matt, they joined us for a fabulous fresh Mahi-Mahi dinner. It was really a busy, family and friends filled time.

The weekend was full of sun, water and fun. We took the boat out to Molasses reef for snorkeling and fishing. The water was crystalline blue. The sky was dyed to match. No wind, and just hot enough. After catching a number of fish to satisfy Jack's growing fishing interest, and grown-up snorkel time, we motored up to Rodriquez Key sandbar along with half of south Florida to join the party. It was heaven. Warm, crystal clear water. Jack learned to snorkel. Ruby bobbed about in her life jacket. The grownups searched for sea biscuits or just cooled off with a beer in hand with the sounds of different music playing from nearby boats.

Evenings happened around the dinner table and later, at nearby clubs with Grammy Care and Grandpa Harry babysitting. The house had toys strewn about. We played with bubbles, and Sam's old building toys were a big hit. Ruby delighted us with her adorable smiles, affectionate demeanor and charming toddler talk. Jack was a whirlwind of activity and giggles. Everyone got a good dose of kid love. And of course, there was the requisite breakfast at Doc's Diner. We had many a Saturday morning breakfast there when Jack was a baby and we were visiting. Matt would take his boy out to let mommy sleep in. When Matt's favorite waitress is there, no matter how long he has been gone, she remembers what he drinks and brings it without being asked. Living in a small town has its privileges.

It was a wonderful time. I realized not too long ago, while Harry, Sam and I were sitting outside at a restaurant for dinner on the water, that my life is like being on vacation. I used to laugh about Florida and all the old folks. And now I am one. But truly, life is easy here. The sun lifts the spirits. People are more active. I can be out on the ocean in minutes from my home doing world class fishing. I can throw something in the ground and instead of trying to get it to grow, I have to try to keep it contained. I think it is paradise! If only I had all of my friends and loved ones nearby, it would be perfect. But, from the noises that I hear from up north during those long grey winters - maybe I will have them nearby soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment