Sunday, December 5, 2010

cHappy cHanukkah

I am so glad that I married someone who is Jewish and learned a little bit about the holidays and food. Latkes are one of the most delicious comfort types of food ever. I usually have them once during the eight days of Hanukkah, and serve them with applesauce and sour cream. I also usually have beef brisket and gravy with them. I never had cooked or even seen a cut of beef called brisket until I met Harry's mom, 28 years ago. Boy, could she cook!

I am posting the recipe and hope that some of you will try them and tell me how you like them. I never met anyone who didn't!

Latkes
2 1/2 # baking potatoes (6 good size)
1 medium onion
2 eggs
1/4 t. baking powder
2 T. flour
salt and pepper
Vegetable Oil and butter (OK, so I am not Kosher)
Grate potatoes and onion in food processor. Put in bowl. Drain or blot moisture in bottom of bowl. Add eggs, baking powder, flour and salt & pepper. Put about 1/8 inch of oil in bottom of skillet. Add a blob of butter (about 1 and 1/2 T.). Heat over medium to medium-hi heat. Spoon potato mixture (with slotted spoon) into pan, and flatten pancakes. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
Serve with sour cream and applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment