Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What's In A Name

This particular orchid is called Psychopsis. I think if you look closely at it, you will understand why. In the garden, it grows at the top of a tall stalk and seems to quiver and shake in the wind, as though it has its own little anxiety disorder.

This encyclia cochleata is commonly known as the "cockleshell" orchid. It looks like a clam shell with legs.






This one is an encyclia Renee Marquesa, but I call it Jimmy Durante. It is one of my favorites. Look at that proboscis looking labellum. I wonder what exotic looking insect is attracted to it somewhere in the wild.

The name of this orchid has no bearing on its looks. I think it is named "Everglades", but what fascinates me about this one is not only is it over 5 feet tall, but also that the flowers are perfectly aligned on each stalk on both the front and back. You can view it from either side. Perhaps it should be called the mirror orchid. I just love it's yearly display which lasts for perhaps a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment