Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Stupor

I have been in an unproductive, yet wonderfully enjoyable, state of stupor. I have a routine - every couple days or so, get myself settled in my favorite "sports watching" recliner, beverage at hand, and watch the NBA games. First I was glued to the Heat v Celtics, then the Bulls and now the Mavericks. I am amazed at how much I want the Heat to fail! I now totally understand my son Matt's feelings about OSU v Michigan, or the Cleveland Browns v Pittsburgh or Baltimore. I just never got that sense of distaste for another sports team before now. Secretly, I like Dwyane Wade, and think he is a phenomenally talented guy who also comes across kind of classy. He admitted the Heat was a little too full of themselves when they hosted the Big Three extravaganza down here last summer. But nonetheless, I decided then and there I couldn't be a Miami fan, ever. I rooted for the Reds when I lived in Cincinnati. But Cleveland stole my heart with its endless loser angst and I will remain loyal, no matter where I call home for tax purposes.

The other wonderfully indulgent treat I have given myself is getting back into reading. I have the time during the summer, when the golf leagues down here end until fall. My non-work days were filled with trips to the mainland the past seven months to indulge my passion. My handicap dropped 7 points, but the summer lull will probably mean that when I start back again, I will be rusty and have to battle my demons again. I recently started "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck on recommendation of my daughter-in-law's mother and sister - and they were right! I don't know how I missed this American classic, but it is a rich and enjoyable read. I love the book itself - from the little library down here - and it looks like it was published when the book first came out in 1952. It is a funky patterned green hardback, the copyright page is missing, and others are taped together with Scotch tape that has long ago turned brown. The yellowing paper smells like an old book. I love it, and thinking about how many other people read and enjoyed it.

I will enjoy this time to indulge myself. I have other projects on the coffee table to complete also. Hats to crochet for grandgirls (first attempt turned out terrible so they might not happen), and learning Dreamweaver CS3 so that I can redo the business website. Every time I pick up that book, I get drowsy. Cascading style sheets anyone? My nursing school chemistry classes were easier. But soon the lull will end, because Matt, Megan, Jack and Ruby are coming next week. And I cannot wait for the action to begin! Down time is great, but living in the Keys means the "Keys Disease" lurks around every corner. And that is permanent stupor!

No comments:

Post a Comment