Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Vacation I







Megan, Matt, Jack & Ruby left on Tuesday night and it is so hard to say goodbye. But, we packed a whole lot of activity in six days. We spent the first two days in Key Largo, on the boat or in the water. We also included a Happy Birthday party for Guinness, who turned 13. Or maybe it was his Bark Mitzvah?

On the first day, we headed out to sea and Megan caught a great Mahi Mahi which became our first night's dinner. We were just getting into the fish when a storm blew up to the east and when we saw lightening and water spouts forming from the dark clouds, we raced ahead of it to get close to shore at Rodriquez Key, where we anchored the boat in the warm shallows and lolled about in the water. The second day was a snorkeling day and Jack, age six, was able to snorkel the reef with his parents for his first time. That fearless kid had a blast touching the fish that surrounded him while Ruby and I threw crumbs overboard into the water.

We then headed to Sanibel Island for a couple days. Megan's brother, Ryan, and his fiance, Julie, drove down from Orlando to join us. We had a great time in the ocean and pool and later, after a super dinner at Doc Ford's, one of Harry and my favorite places, we sat on the beach watching the stars and lightening off in the distance. One of my favorite things to do on Sanibel is be on the beach at sunset, when the light changes to pink and everything takes on a magical, warm glow. Walking along in the low tide, shelling, is definitely one of my favorite activities. It is the ultimate treasure hunt. I cannot go there without thinking of my mom, who got so excited plunging into the surf for a shell treasure, that she lost the condo keys that were in her hand to the mighty Gulf of Mexico.

Ruby liked the pool and beach so much that she hid in the closet when it was time to leave. But, driving home across the Everglades was fun. Harry and I had the kids in our car and Ruby entertained us with made up songs and Harry kept the kids in an uproar by opening the sunroof during rain showers.

When we got back, Matt, Jack and I got our gear ready and headed out to try Tarpon fishing. This was a new experience for me. We trailered the flats boat, launched it and headed to the Channel five bridge. After anchoring and tying a rubber buoy to the anchor with a bungee attached to the boat for quick release, we kicked back to let our bait float back behind the boat. After about an hour, suddenly Matt's rod bent over and the hugest behemoth Tarpon jumped totally out of the water - about 80# of silver muscle shot straight up in the air behind the boat and I lost my Grammy cool and shouted "holy s**t." Matt didn't have time to say "MOM" because he had to hand the rod to me and jump back to release the boat from the anchor. Away we went on a 40 minute battle. I just couldn't do it. I twice had to give the rod over to Matt and when I developed a huge blister on my thumb, he took over for good. The fish took us all over the place but when he was finally tiring and we were about to get our trophy photo, he got off. We never even got a great picture of it jumping. He wanted to stay deep and that meant it was hard to tire him out. But now, I am "hooked" and cannot wait to try again. Another great and exciting experience.

Last day meant one last trip to the nearby local pool. With a kiddie pool with pirate ship, slides and the like, and three other pools, it is a wonderful community treat within a five minute walk from the house. And Jack, ever fearless, went off of the high dive for the first time. Not once, but over and over.

I haven't even mentioned how incredible my grand kids are. Ruby, age 2, is a "hoot." Talks all the time. Sings, dances and performs at the drop of a hat. And, she is funny. My favorite - when looking at photos of her as a baby, Megan mentioned to me the time we went to get her bangs cut. Ruby got her frown face on and said, "Momma, why you cut my golden hair?" A princess in the making. Jack, age 6, is much quieter, and such a happy boy. He is always smiling. He is thoughtful and observant. My favorite - he asked me how I made my gardens. And, he listened while I explained. And then he said, "Grammy, I think your house is beautiful." Jack loves it down here and it amazes me how much he is like his dad in that way. All things fishing interest him also. I know Matt is thinking - "Phew - someone to pole me around the flats someday."

What a spectacular visit. I miss them so!

No comments:

Post a Comment