Monday, September 26, 2011

Golf

Yes, I do golf. And, if you view the top photo, I almost look like I know what I am doing. But, despite the fact that I have been playing more regularly the past 10 years or so, I am still very average. Regardless, golf is the most wonderful game. You are outside. You are in fresh air. You are generally with like minded people (at least they also like golf). And, you actually have the chance, because of some confluence of a huge number of factors, to create a shot that makes you so happy that you keep trying, over and over, to recreate it.

I played in Cleveland this past weekend in the EWGA Cleveland Chapter's year end outing. I also belong to the Miami Chapter. EWGA is a terrific organization. It stands for Executive Women's Golf Association and is some 20,000+ members strong in the US, Canada and Europe. Besides the local Chapters, and many other events across the country each year, the National organization sponsors a yearly Championship and I was lucky enough one year to make it through the local tournament, the Sectionals and on to the National tournament in Nashville with a scramble team. It was the highlight of my golfing experiences so far - they made us feel like the LPGA!

This past Saturday in Medina, Ohio was beautiful day with just a hint of fall in the air. I played with three friends; Fern, Peggy and Elsa. I have known Fern for over 30 years, since we attended graduate school together at Case Western Reserve. She was one of the first people I met after moving to Cleveland. All the angst over that move was dissipated when I realized what a great place Cleveland is - especially the people. Peggy and Elsa are friends made through EWGA. In fact, we have golfed in Florida and Arizona - and hopefully will play in many more new locations. Ireland is on the horizon.

None of us won any prizes this year, but we had fun. In fact, we probably didn't win any prizes because we had too much fun and not too much focus. Like when Fern's white pedometer fell out of her pants pocket as she teed off and Elsa thought it was her teeth. No, Fern does not have dentures. That started the giggles. And, while waiting around on EVERY HOLE for the very slow group in front of us, I was able to catch up with friends and find out what is happening in their lives. Maybe GOLF stands for great old lady friends. (Old friends who are ladies, not old ladies who are friends)!

No comments:

Post a Comment