Saturday, December 31, 2011

Burma Shave

I was thinking about Burma Shave for some reason and thought it would be fun to see if a.) I really have anyone reading my blog and b.) would they comment if asked.

Burma shave was originally a liniment and then a brushless shaving product which, according to Wikipedia, created an advertising solution to their slacking sales. "Burma-Shave sign series appeared from 1925 to 1963 in most of the contiguous United States. The exceptions were New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada (deemed to have insufficient road traffic), and Massachusetts (eliminated due to that state's high land rentals and roadside foliage).

Six signs were placed at intervals along the roadside and together, created a short poem. I think it was genius advertising because to this day, I can remember seeing the following one. I believe it was on the drive to our father's hunting cabin in the Pennsylvania Mountains:

Going somewhere?

Coming back?

Drink can

Throw you

Off the track.

Burma Shave

I even discovered a website listing all of the jingles (although I could not find this one) - http://www.burma-shave.org/.

So, if anyone has a favorite that they remember, please email it to me at cgcaplan@aol.com and I will post it. Happy Memories and Happy New Year!

Nancy Skriner Huber in Phyllup, Washington wrote "Our family took road trips down south.. or over to the Civil war battlefields in Pa..or Amish country... my twin brother and I so enjoyed those Burma Shave signs! Good memories... we also liked the Mail pouch tobacco bill boards painted on the old red barns out in the Ohio country side." Nancy remembered this one -
a peach/ looks good/ with lots of fuzz/ but a man's no peach/ and never was/ Burma Shave

Anonymous - http://oldfortyfives.com/DYRT.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment