Sunday, December 18, 2011

Holiday Cheer

The holiday season would not be complete, for me, without this little red beauty - the Bacardi Cocktail.

My former husband's father made this drink every Christmas Eve. According to my former sister-in-law, Susan Urich Hildebrand, "The Bacardi saga began about 1948 when Grace and John now had 2 kids to do Christmas for. Doug and I would go to bed on Christmas Eve and there would be nothing in the house. Nothing, not a tree or other decorations. But when Doug and I woke up on Christmas morning, it was wondrous, it was all there, the tree, the decorations, and the presents. It looked like the room had been filled overnight by Santa. But we know that it was Grace and John who did all the work. Putting up the tree and wrapping the packages. They said often Doug and I would wake up as soon as they got into bed. They would spend all night making this happen for Doug and me. And they would drink a lot of Bacardis."

I first started imbibing in the tart treats around 1970 and haven't missed a year since. This year, in order to create the photo, I mixed up a batch a week early. Shocking! No, not really. I need fortitude when I watch my Brown's games.

The drink was mixed by Grandad (John) Urich by taste and tinkering until 1989, when for some unknown reason (premonition?), he actually wrote the recipe down. He died the following summer, on his beloved club's golf course. So, how can we not carry on this tradition when there is such a wonderful legacy involved?

The drink itself is incredibly tart. My ex, Doug, hated the drink because it gave him horrendous heartburn. I find the taste to be wonderfully complimentary to the savory and salty snacks and appetizers of the season. And, if there are leftovers on Christmas morning, it goes quite nicely with the sweetness and richness of cookies. How do I know this? Well, how do mothers survive Christmas and all of the insane work and preparations? Duh!

I am sharing the recipe in honor of Grandad. But beware - if you have to help Santa and assemble any toys - please do that before you start imbibing.

Cheers!!

9 oz. rum
4 oz. grenadine
3 oz. lime juice
3 oz lemon juice

Blend with a few ice cubes. Serve over ice. Be ready to pucker up so get the mistletoe ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment