Monday, December 29, 2008

Memories

In the Keys, this week is referred to as "Hell Week." That is because inordinate amounts of tourists descend. Locals complain because of traffic and all of their haunts being populated. Business operators and fishing guides love it. But, it is exhausting and after 5 straight shifts at the motel, I fell asleep at 7 last night and slept for over 12 hours. That sleep was interrupted three times - someone locked out of a room and people looking for rooms despite the sign on the door saying "sold out".

One of the first emails I saw today was a reminder from my cousin Nancy, that our twin mothers would have been 93 today. Despite how busy the week was, and how un-Christmas like the 25th was, I still thought often of loved ones who are gone. I know that is a common occurrence at holiday time. The wonderful memories of the past mixed with a longing to recreate them.

I realized how vulnerable I was to that when a guest told me that they had come to the Keys this year because their father had leukemia and was in remission but had a wish to go to Key West one more time and see a sunset from Mallory Sq. I became so teary when she recounted their reunion celebration. The family occupy four rooms at our motel and are often outside picnicking and talking and we enjoy chatting with them. Always reminders to enjoy time with loved ones and to laugh and share and create the memories to linger when they are gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment