Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Eyes Have It

I know what "stink eye", "eyeing someone", the "evil eye", the Italian "malocchio", and "eyeballing" are. But, what do you call someone who has one eye focused on you and the other looking yonder? For some reason, I have met four people in the past two weeks with this condition and it has me unnerved! I just cannot figure out where to look when I talk to them. When I look at one eye, the other moves and I have to shift my look to that one. To the other person, I must look like I am watching a tennis match. Looking someone in the eye can be, at times challenging when both eyes focus forward. I never understood why, but there are some people who I find hard to look at when talking. I cannot get comfortable with which eye to look at so have to sort of dart back and forth. But this latest dilemma has reminded me of that character in Monty Python movies and I feel like I might get motion sickness trying to be polite.

No comments:

Post a Comment