Monday, October 31, 2011

Fantasy Fest Follies

Key West hosts an event yearly called Fantasy Fest. This bacchanal was created to increase tourism to the Keys during our slow season and it has grown to a huge international draw with many events, parades, parties, nude body painting and incredibly creative costumes. I have not gone. I hear so many stories from motel guests, that I think my little waspy personality would go into shock when I saw some of the things described to me. Maybe next year I will go to the parades only and avoid the later night revelries. I don't know how interested I am in seeing 80+ year olds in wheelchairs nude and body painted...

Working the motel is always fun. I love to see the costumes that guests wear and I love the guest's stories (my favorite is the repeat guest who brings two cameras - one set of photos to show his wife and family and one to show his friends). Getting people out on Sunday morning is always difficult. Everyone has fun. And, one guest from Scandinavia said "I thought Americans were prudish. I saw things there I have never seen." So, next year, plan to come down and join me and we will go over to the dark side.

No comments:

Post a Comment