Monday, August 3, 2009

I'm All Ears

One of my biggest pet peeves is about the art of conversation. In my opinion, and I hope my actions, I believe conversation is about give and take. One person talks and one person listens and then there is the lovely dance of back and forth. With some people, it feels incredibly difficult, as though there is no commonality and the conversation is strained and superficial. And then, there are those blessed conversations that are easy, comfortable and fulfilling. You feel like you leave the conversation with some sense of valued self worth and a refreshingly good feeling about the other person from their end of the discourse.

But as I have gotten older, I feel more and more aware that there are people who just want to talk, but not listen. I keep wondering if it is age related, or if it was always as evident but I lost tolerance. My blog tonight is leaving me feeling like I am not experiencing a good conversation, because I want to know how others feel about this topic, and I do not hear any response. Wow, maybe blogging is totally selfish and self absorbed and I am like the people I don't like!!

2 comments:

  1. Inspired by this latest post, I figured out how to sign on with Matt's gmail account and now can respond! yay!
    I definitely know some people who simply wait for their turn to talk during conversations, and, in fact, Matt and I discussed this on our way home from Chicago (prompted by some conversation with a certain person and I think you know who it is). I've been trying to watch myself for this behavior also. Hope I listen carefully enough!
    And, even though there are people who don't respond to this blog, rest assured that Matt and I check in on it regularly! We love to read up on your musings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw...this is Megan, not Matt lol.

    ReplyDelete