Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sam's Tonsils, or Lack Of

Yesterday Sam had his tonsils out. He has had recurring bouts of strep and tonsilitis and he had probably the nastiest looking pair of tonsils I have ever seen!! Today, with the help of great pain medication, he is doing OK, although I haven't seen a smile since he came out of surgery. The Dr. was quite blunt that tonsillectomies are tough on adults. I am also doing a bit too much "hovering" so am trying to leave him alone and let him sleep. I am sure he loves me knocking on his door every half hour asking if he wants something!

I was amazed, though, at the changes in the hospital since I worked in one. Sam's hospital gown had air vents where a hose was place to pump warm air around his body. The nurse said that studies show that a person going to and from surgery, who is warm, heals faster afterwards. And they gave him Versed right before, and that is the most wonderful drug in the world. You feel relaxed and forget most of what is happening. If you have ever had a colonoscopy, you know what I mean when I say the drug is awesome!!

I couldn't help thinking that we have a long way to go in the science of medicine. Anasthesia is only about 160 years old. And that was the ether/chloroform type. And, the discovery of penicillan was 80 years ago. What could it have been like to be sick a hundred years ago?? But the discovery I am really waiting for is the cure for stomach flu!!

No comments:

Post a Comment