Friday, January 23, 2009

Technowarp

I love the word "blog." It sort of falls out of your mouth, like my granddaughter, Ruby, tasting strained peas for the first time. I tried to find the origin of the word. It is shortened from Web log. Someone online described it as "roughly onomatopoeic of vomiting" - so I guess my visual made sense.

I was talking to my sister, Suzanne, about blogging and how some people seemed resistant to the idea when I told them I was starting one. I shared with her that Sam had shown me his Facebook page filled with wonderful photos and activities of he and his friends. We discussed that Barack Obama was on Facebook. And I told her that I felt that as people get older, they are less creative and carefree and playful and that we needed to stay lighthearted. Suzanne and I vowed to sign up for Facebook that day (and she actually had signed up her husband the day before so she was ahead of the game plan)!

I was WRONG!!!! I signed up for Facebook and found out lots of people I know were already on and I was the one that was the old fogey. What a great interconnection this is. To link people who know each other, or know someone you know and you have the ability to decide if you want them to see your pages or not, and they have the same power. It is genius! It respects privacy while allowing you to connect to people from your past or present and stay abreast of their activities - whether mundane - like "Carolyn is going to the store" or profound - like "what do you think of Chaos Theory."

So, to all of my "friends" who have not accepted my invitation, get off your butts and sign up and have some fun. And, yes, men are on Facebook, and no, you don't have to put your photo if you think you don't look good, and no, stalkers will not find you, and yes, you will have some FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment