Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sibling Rivalry

A blog is like a diary that anyone (well, if they wanted to) reads. I think, for me, it is cathartic. When I first started it, I said it was to help me be more reflective - and I believe it has! It has forced me to think about what I want to share, and why.

Today I have been reflecting on my siblings. I think it started when a childhood neighbor emailed a YouTube video that accompanied Bruce Springsteen's song "Youngstown" (where we grew up) and that started the thought process of childhood, and family.

I am the second child of four. We are all five years apart. There were (are) three girls and one boy. And, although I remember the usual sibling issues growing up, somehow, as adults, I don't feel any conflicts now and I really like these people! How did that happen? How does one family produce children who are ethical, honest, hard working, self sufficient, responsible AND like each other?

In the shadow of the conflict that my husband's family is going through, post Patriarchal death, I am in awe of how my siblings joined together when our parent's health failed, and how, even if we disagreed, we eventually were able to discuss our feelings and resolve conflict. What a gift our parents gave us! I have heard many stories of families fighting over the estate, and I am watching it happen. It isn't even about money. It is about control and the inability of each to really hear the other and it is daunting. The only positive outcome of all of this, is that my cardio-workouts are increasing as I have to walk longer and faster to shake off my disgust!

No comments:

Post a Comment