Thursday, April 9, 2009

Out of My Funk

Strange word, Funk. When you think of Sly and the Family Stone or George Clinton, you don't think morose or frightened. You think upbeat. What gives?

It doesn't hurt that the weather is spectacularly gorgeous. Clear blue skies. Bright light. Low humidity and cool nights for great sleeping. The waters are turquoise. And, while taking my walk this afternoon, I marveled that a pelican flew by, and that is just normal for here.

I spoke with my brother, Tom, today. He returned to Ohio in time for another snowstorm. Makes me appreciate how easy it is to throw on some shorts and head out the door. No coats, boots, gloves. And, I can putter with my plants anytime, or see what is swimming by in the canal, or just be outside.

Speaking of Tom (aka Tommynerdz) - he and Sam fixed my car! It had a very strange grating noise for over a year. We had taken it to two different mechanics and they didn't know what it was. But, the "boys" decided after Sam's Acura's transmission bit the dust at 70,000 miles, that my transmission needed new fluids - and they replaces any and all. It was an all day job and hark - my noise is gone. Maybe they saved me from a new transmission and a huge expense. I really appreciate what they did.

Tom is always a great house guest. He does his own thing and yet is available when we want company. He is entertaining, and he and Harry really get along. Tom makes me see different sides of things - such as the male side so that I can better understand all the men in my life. Sam and Harry and Tom speak a different language, laugh at things that appall me, and just generally think different. Yet, my brother and I have always gotten along so well. We like to fish. We like nature. We "get" each other. I just plain love him and we miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment